Skip to content

Support for Refugees & CalWorks Families

Greater Avenues for Independence  I  Refugee Employment and Acculturation Services

The Greater Avenues for Independence (GAIN) is an L.A. County program that provides employment-related services to CalWORKs recipients to help them find employment, stay employed, and move on to higher paying jobs. This will ultimately lead them to self-sufficiency and independence.

The GAIN program conducts Job Fairs where highly motivated and qualified participants are available for interviews, evaluation, and hiring on the spot. Participation in Job Fairs and other employer-related services is free for employers. GAIN offers candidates that are prepared and available for interviews on short notice. Applicants are pre-screened to meet employers’ needs. Businesses may be eligible for a tax credit for participation.

GAIN (Greater Avenues for Independence)

JVS SoCal and MAXIMUS partner to help participants of Los Angeles County’s GAIN Program. More than 15,000 people in the Greater Los Angeles area benefit annually from our services at offices in Chatsworth, Palmdale and Santa Clarita.

To participate, you must be registered through L.A. County in the GAIN program.

Chatsworth, Palmdale, Santa Clarita

Refugee Employment and Acculturation Services (REAS)

The REAS division features the Refugee Employment Program (REP) and is designed to assist refugees to attain self- sufficiency by providing culturally and linguistically sensitive employment and specialized services in an effort to assist them through the initial adjustment period following arrival into the United States.

To participate, you must be registered through L.A. County in the REP program.

Do you have a business and are curious about hiring a refugee?

Services under this program are available to refugees who are aided through the California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs), Medical Assistance, Cal-Fresh Assistance Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA), or General Relief (GR) programs. Services are also provided to refugees not aided through a public assistance program, as well as non-citizens who are victims of human trafficking, domestic violence, and other serious crimes. Refugees are eligible for REP services for the first five years after entry into the United States.

Thank you to our partners